Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Neriah Thomas Moore (1858-1943): Work

The following was written by my 2nd great grandfater Neriah Thomas Moore Jr.  It is about his work history with the Ogden, Utah fire department.

My Record in Ogden Fire Department

I joined the Department, May 1, 1891. The Department was housed at the City Hall.

Chief Roades appointed me as Captain of No. 1 Station approved by the Council October 1891.

Then I was appointed Asst Chief and was stationed at No. 2 at 23rd Street near Monroe Ave.

Then on January 4, 1893, William Binford took charge of the Department as Chief. He appointed Job Warner as Asst Chief and I as Capt of No. 2.

Then Job Warner was reduced to Capt. of No. 2 and I was reduced to Lieutenant June 1, 1893.

Then I was appointed Capt again on August 1, 1893 at No. 2. No. 2 was abandoned and I was transferred to No. 1 Station.

Then I was appointed Electrician on January 26, 1895.  Then I was appointed Asst Chief & Electrician on April 20, 1908.  Held this duel appointment until Occtober 1, 1924 when Stoddard was appointed Electrician and I still retaining my standing as Asst Chief until the 1st of July 1930, when I was asked to take my pension although still active and able to perform all duties that fall to the lot of a Fireman in the Ogden Fire Department.

I have been injured twice going to fires the first time was on Jan. 9, 1905, was thrown against telephone pole at 25th and Washington. Hip broken, was off duty until March 1, 1905. Injured again on May 9, 1923 at 8:47 PM at 25th and Grant, was thrown off truck when the driver had to make a short turn to keep from hitting a street car which blocked the right of way. Concussion of head and cut over the left eye. Returned to duty May 31, 1923.

N. Thomas Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment