Monday, March 25, 2013

John Paternoster Squires (1820-1901): Funeral



The above article is from the Deseret News on November 18, 1901 and talks about the funeral of my third great grandfather John Paternoster Squires.

The list of those who spoke at his funeral is impressive but I find most interesting the name of one of the pall bearers, H. A. Thorup, which I presume to be another third great grandfather of mine, Herman August Thorup.

Below is the text of the article.

JOHN SQUIRES LAID AWAY.

Impressive Funeral of Pioneer at the First Ward Meeting House.

The last kindly offices that could be performed for John Squires, the pioneer barber, were done yesterday afternoon. The services at the First ward meeting house were conducted by Bishop Warburton and were very impressive. The house was crowded to overflowing by those who had known him for years, and their presence, together with the fragrance of the many beautiful flowers were eloquent testimonies of the high respect in which men held him. The music was furnished by the ward choir and a quartet.

The opening prayer was offered by Elder James Sharp and the choir sang "I Need Thee Every Hour," and "O, My Father." The quartet, consisting of Thomas Ashworth, Fred C. Graham, Victor Christopherson and Charles R. Pike, rendered "The Night of Rest," "The Beautiful Country," and "Nearer My God to Thee."

Appropriate remarks were made by Apostle George Teasdale, Bishop George Romney, Thomas Udahl, of Nephi, J. Golden Kimball, Joseph McMurrin, George Reynolds, Joseph E. Taylor and Bishop Warburton, and the benediction was pronounced by Elder Richard W. Young. A very long cortege of carriages followed the remains to the grave. The pall bearers were: A.Milton Musser, William Campbell, Thomas Johnson, George Hilton, Francis Scholes and H. A. Thorup.

6 comments:

  1. Mark, are you related to squires?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's my 3rd great grandfather too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather was Willard Haywood Squires, His father was John W. Squires and then John P. Squires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking to do research on this side of the family, my grandfathers wifes side and my mothers side. So much research!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to hear back from you. Kind of cool knowing there are other relations out there! Our family is so small. My grandfather, Willard H. Squires only had 2 children. A son and a daughter. My dad only had one son and 2 daughters. My brother only had one son who is only 14 now. He could be the last of the Squires! Happy New Year. My name is Pam if you would like to contact me, my email is reiss826@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete