Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Henry Maiben - Songwriter


My third great grandfather, Henry Maiben, was very much into the arts.  Actor, painter, songwriter, etc.  In my notes I came across something that said Henry Maiben had written the popular song "Zion is Growing."

I'd never heard of the song (It's popularity has apparently waned) so I decided to go and look for it.  I found it in the hymnbook Deseret Sunday School Songs from 1909 at this link.  It is hymn #12 in that book.

I also found it in this book called Songs of Zion here at this link.  It is song #12 in this book as well.  This hymnbook was published in 1908.

Finally, I also found the song in this book called The Children Sing, a children's songbook published in 1951.  It is song #72 and was renamed "As Children of Zion."


No comments:

Post a Comment